One-Time Capital Grants 

2020-2021

To further fulfill its mission to enhance the early development of Tulare County’s children, the First 5 Tulare County Commission has released a Request for Proposals (RFP). The RFP includes a total of $200,000 for one-time capital projects. Direct services will NOT be funded under this program.  Sole proprietors are not eligible to apply.  A maximum single award is $40,000


The Commission seeks proposals from organizations that serve Tulare County’s pregnant women and children zero through five years of age.  The RFP includes application guidance. 


The Capital Project Grant program provides funding to purchase items with a value greater than $5,000 or to fund building renovation or construction projects which promote enhanced mental and physical health among children or ensure that children are ready for school and families are able to promote their children’s development.  Capital projects require a 25 percent match.


Beginning on January 10, 2020, applications can be downloaded on our website, or copies can be obtained by contacting the First 5 Commission office located at 200 N. Santa Fe Street, Visalia, CA 93292.  Proposals are due at noon on February 14, 2020, and projects will commence on July 1, 2020.

 

A Question and Answer Webinar will be at 2:00 p.m. on January 15th. This webinar is not mandatory for application. You can join the webinar by following the link below.

 

Questions regarding the application must be submitted by January 24th, 2020 and can be submitted by e-mail to info@first5tc.org.

Request for Proposals, 2020-2021

Budget Narrative, 2020-2021

Budget Form, 2020-2021

First 5 Tulare County Strategic Plan, 2018-2023

2020-2021 RFP Webinar PowerPoint

Please reload

Frequently asked questions

Can the matching funds come from a gift or in-kind donation?


The matching funds can be a gift. It cannot be an in-kind. It must be a cash match.




If we have used First 5 funds in the past for synthetic grass at one site, can we ask for the same but for a different site?


Yes, you may apply for a different site or location, as that is not considered the same project.




Is a vehicle a qualified item?


No, unfortunately the Commission will not fund vehicles.




If we are applying for iPads, will this not qualify because not one item is $5000.00


iPads are not considered a captial item under the First 5 definition, so that would not qualify.




Do we include taxes as part of the 75% and the 25%? Or do we list items without taxes included?


You would include the tax in your total, then calculate the 75% requested from First 5 and the remaining 25% as match.




I am interested in applying for your grant. However, before I submit my application I was wondering if you could tell me if the following items apply:

  1. Heaters for our office
  2. Trolley to carry books
  3. Yoga mats for children to sit on while reading
  4. Books for disadvantaged children (ages 0-5)


The First 5 Tulare County definition for a “Capital” expenditure requires a single item to be valued at $5,000 or greater. It cannot be a combination of items or multiples of the same item to reach $5,000. Based on what you listed below your proposal would be disqualified.




Can the RFP grant be used strictly for building projects such as renovating a place for services?


The grant may be used for building renovation for a program that serves children ages 0 to 5, not school age children. Additionally, the maximum award amount is $40,000.




One of the major capital projects we wanted to inquire about in terms of being eligible for funding is the construction of a fence.


Yes, a fence would be eligible as it would fall under the definition of construction. However, the cost of the project must be at a minimum of $5,000.00 (see page 3, section C of the RFP) AND benefit children ages five and under. If it is a general use building/area then you would need to provide a calculation of what percent of the population you serve is in the 0-5 age group and then apply that percentage to your project total. First 5 would consider funding up to 75% of the proportionate amount.





GET IN TOUCH

Let us know how we can help